Friday 1st June, 2018 –The 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season begins today with several Caribbean islands including Barbuda still recovering from the devastating effects of hurricanes Irma and Maria that ploughed through the region last year.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season.
Dr. Gerry Bell of NOAA says there is a 70 percent chance of 10-16 named storms.
Here at home, The National Office of Disaster Services (NODS) is urging residents to be mindful of the destructive force of hurricanes and prepare accordingly to minimize damage during the 2018 hurricane season.
Philmore Mullin reiterates that it only takes one storm or hurricane to cause significant disruption to normal life and residents should prepare adequately ahead of any threat.
He is reminding residents that the recovery cost for damage done to Barbuda from Hurricane Irma last year is approximately 222 million US dollars.
The head of the Disaster Office further notes that with the formation of the sub-tropical storm Alberto before the hurricane season and the damage it has caused in the US it may become necessary to have year-round hurricane preparation.
He is advising that any major repairs to structures should be done ahead of the season. Other steps that should be taken are: prune trees properly, stock up on necessary medication for at least two weeks along with non-perishable food and water, get lumber for shutters early, battery-operated radio, flash-light and extra batteries.