Friday, 2nd February, 2018 –More than 800,000 cruise passengers arrived in Antigua in 2017, the largest figure on record for the country.
Coupled with stay over passengers who arrived by air, last year proved a major success for the Ministry of tourism, with over one million tourists recorded.
During his contribution to the 2018 Budget, Minister of Tourism the Hon. Charles Fernandez revealed it is the government’s vision for advancing the country that is responsible for such an achievement.
In 2017, there were 419 cruise ship calls compared to 313 in 2016, representing a 25 percent increase. Minister Fernandez says the aim now is to manage the growth recorded in order for it to be sustainable. Admitting that tourism recovery following last September’s hurricane will be difficult, the tourism minister is confident the Tourism Authority will play its role in informing the world that Antigua and Barbuda is the ideal vacation destination.
Mr. Fernandez told the House of Representatives of the initiatives his ministry is spearheading to ensure the country maintains its position in the highly competitive industry.
Minister Fernandez says stakeholders within the local tourism industry are experiencing of the best winter tourist seasons based on arrivals.